Conquer the Cold
Conquer the Cold returns in mid-January! Get ready now by forming your team.
Conquer the Cold Information
- How The Challenge Works
Participating via our challenge website is the best way to win prizes, connect with others, and calculate your impact during the challenge.
2. Navigate to the Challenge Dashboard to select "Conquer the Cold 2024". "
3. Create or join a team. Forming teams with co-workers, neighbors, and other members of your community is encouraged. If you aren't participating with a group, you are welcome to join getDowntown’s team: "getDowntown Retro Riders." Prizes will be awarded to individuals, not teams, but it’s more motivating to complete the challenge with others!
4. Starting January 15th, log your commute and other trips taken by bus, bike, walking, rolling or carpooling to earn points. You earn:
- 2 points for trips taken by bus, bike, carpool, walking, vanpool, active rolling, roller skate/rollerblade, scooter/e-scooter, jog/run, ski, and skateboard
- 1 point for telecommuting
- 0 points for driving alone
5. Earn rewards and digital badges based on your participation.
6. By February 20, finish logging any trips you took between January 15 and February 15, 2024 that you want to count towards the challenge.
Prizes to be announced soon for the top 3 individual point totals!
- Winter Commuting Resources & Videos
For future bus riders:
- Watch this 2-minute video about how to use TheRide.
- Use VR to interact with all the features of TheRide’s buses or get an inside look by watching the recorded video.
- Tips on how to ride the bus in winter weather are available on TheRide's YouTube channel under the Winter Riding Tips playlist.
- U-M community: Did you know you ride TheRide for free with your MCard? Simply have your MCard in your hand when you board the bus and the driver will tell you what to do next. Find additional details here.
- Find additional bus resources at www.getdowntown.org/commuter-resources/bus
For sidewalk users:
- Find information about Ann Arbor’s sidewalk snow and ice removal responsibilities.
- Learn about the A2 Snow Match Program that pairs volunteers with residents in need of snow/ice-management assistance.
- Find additional walking resources at www.getdowntown.org/commuter-resources/walk
For people who want to drive less:
- Park for free and take the bus using one of TheRide’s designated or shared parking locations.
- Share the responsibility of driving into Washtenaw County during winter with other employed adults by joining the VanRide program. More details about VanRide can be found here and during the online information session on January 18.
- Check if there is anyone seeking a carpool or vanpool partner from your town at CommuterConnectMI.org. The results might surprise you!
- U-M community, check out the resources provided by U-M Logistics, Transportation & Parking
For aspiring and current bicyclists:
- Common Cycle, welcomes the public to seek help from volunteers and use tools to maintain and repair bicycles at their dedicated workspace (416 W. Huron St., Suite 11, Ann Arbor, MI 48103) on Sundays from 11am to 3pm.
- Review how to load your bike on TheRide here.
- See a map of bike lanes and trails in Washtenaw County (as of 2022). Contact the getDowntown Program to pick up a hard copy of the map!
- Learn about free and paid bike parking locations in downtown Ann Arbor.
- Find additional biking resources at www.getdowntown.org/commuter-resources/bike
- Conquer the Cold Calendar
Join us and invite others to the events below. You can find additional details about these events on our Events page.
- Conquer the Cold 2024 Kickoff – January 9, 11:30am
- Online Info Session for VanRide – January 18, 11am | Click here for more details.
- Conquer the Cold 2024 Mixer – February 1, 5-7pm
- Park & Ride Meet Up – February 7, 6pm
- Buddy Walk – February 13, 8am
- TEAM CAPTAIN RESOURCES
The first person to start a new team when joining the challenge is designated as the team captain. Here are some tips for motivating and growing your team!
- Pick up free resources and trinkets for your team from the getDowntown Program! Resources include bus schedules, postcards on how to ride the bus, posters on how to bring your bike on TheRide, and more. Simply reach out to us to make arrangements.
- Invite co-workers, family and friends to join you at one of our events or ask them to complete one of the social media activities with you!
- Claim your Conquer the Cold beanie after getting 5 or more people on your team logging trips on commuteandwin.org by the end of the challenge. We'll reach out to you about picking up your beanie if you qualify.
- For questions, ideas, and troubleshooting help, contact email@example.com
Conquer the Cold Returns in January!
Click the buttons if you are ready to register or take the pledge. Find information about how the challenge works below.
Thursday, January 18 to Thursday, January 18
TheRide's VanRide service is available to people traveling to a work location in Washtenaw County, including those who live outside of county lines. Join this session to learn about how to sign up, what costs are included, and more. You can ask questions or keep your camera off and just listen. Register here to receive the Zoom meeting link.
Tuesday, January 10 to Friday, February 10