The Commuter Challenge is an online commuting competition that takes place during the month of May. The goal of the challenge is to encourage people that may not otherwise use alternative modes of transportation to use it at least once during this competition. By doing so, they may be more inclined to continue after the competition is complete.
2019 was the 14th Annual Commuter Challenge in which 2,200 commuters competed during the month of May. These commuters, from 275 different organizations, logged almost 40,000 alternative commutes by walking, biking,taking the bus, carpooling, vanpooling, and telecommuting all while having fun and engaging with their co-workers and community.
Commuters logged over 408,000 alternative commutes and burned an amazing 2,200,000 calories during the month. This saved 638,500 pounds of C02 from entering our atmosphere.
Click here for more information about the Challenge results and winners.
Let's gear up for the 15th Annual Commuter Challenge. Registration begins April 1, 2020.
Commuter Challenge Information
- Marketing Toolkit
We're updating our marketing materials. Check back in April.
- Commuter Challenge Calendar
April 1, 2020 - registration opens
April 1st - 30th - get co-workers to sign up and practice logging commutes
May 1, 2020 - The Commuter Challenge Starts with Green Commute Day!
May 1st - 31st - get co-workers to sign up, log commutes, win prizes!
Friday, May 15th: Bike to Work Day!!
Visit our Bike Commuting Stations from 7am-9am
To be eligible for prize drawings, you need to be registered for the Commuter Challenge and do the following:
- Submit photos on our social media. Be sure to make your photos public, tag @getdowntown, include #COMMUTEandWIN and #NoMoHaiku (for Haiku challenge)
- Facebook - @getdowntown
- Twitter - @getdowntown
- Instagram - @getdowntown
- If you submit your photos on social media, you'll need to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and the organization you are with.
- You can also email us your photos to email@example.com and we'll post it to social media for you. Be sure to include your name and the organization you are with.
No problem - email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Remember, you get a FREE ice cream coupon from Washtenaw Dairy when you log your first commute! Coupons are sent via Mailchimp each Monday.
- Bike to Work Day Stations
Check back in May for more information.