Ann Arbor is One of the Top Cities for Bike Commuting! Here’s why...
Published: Mon, 10/05/2015 - 11:56 AM
Ann Arbor is One of the Top Cities for Bike Commuting! Here's why . . .
Check this out!
According to the 2014 American Community Survey, Ann Arbor ranks #13 out of the Top 20 cities with the highest share of bicyclists.
At 5% commute by bike, we beat our Minneapolis, San Francisco, Washington DC, Seattle and several others when we comes to total number who bike commute by population.
If we just focus on downtown Ann Arbor, our bike commuting totals go up to 7%.
What are some of the reasons that we have so many bike commuters?
Here's a few:
- We continue to invest in bike lanes, sharrows and other items that make it easier for people to bike to work.
- We have a highly bike-able downtown and campus area, which makes getting around by bike easier.
- We are a small downtown, so sometimes getting around by bike is the most convenient option over even driving a car.
- We have a strong bike culture here with groups like WBWC and Common Cycle and fun events like Bike to Work Day.
I'd be really interested in seeing how the bike share program may further impact these numbers as I have heard of a couple of people who use ArborBike as part of their commute.
So how could we get even better?
1. Continue to think about how to create/resurface streets with bikes in mind.
2. Look into more separated bike lines to make more people feel comfortable biking to work.
3. Continue to make it fun and try to create more events that encourage people to look at bike commuting.